One Minute Math Video: Adding 1000 numbers versus opening a bag of chips

Our first 1 minute math video. Pass it along if you know anyone who’d like it. Should we make more? Any topics you’d like to see?

This entry was posted in one minute math, video and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to One Minute Math Video: Adding 1000 numbers versus opening a bag of chips

1. Jason Buell says:

I get “this video is private” when I click play. Maybe a permissions thing?

2. Jason Buell says:

Works now. I don’t know how to use the youtube. I liked the vid. Maybe at the end I would have liked the general formula or a “further investigations….” but I don’t know how much you can add and not go over 1 minute.

3. Kristin says:

I like it. Unfortunately we can’t get clear video for most of the minute. The audio is fine throughout. (I’m using Firefox if it matters.)

4. Avery says:

Very funny. Reminds me of key curriculum’s ignite series found here: http://www.keypress.com/x25196.xml

5. Pingback: Having Fun with Math « Let's Play Math!

6. Peter Price says:

Dan and Katherine, great video!
    This is a really simple idea that works very well, and would be great to use with math students in primary/middle school.
    I think the one-minute format works well as a brief introduction to a cool math topic, for a wide audience including school students and anyone interested in math. I’m looking forward to more in this series!

One critique: the chip packet was really noisy. Perhaps a microphone placed closer to Katherine could have helped.

7. Mercedes says:

Fantastic! I teach Maths in a spanish middle school and I will use with my bilingual students (they learn Maths in both English and Spanish). That will be a good finish to the lesson of sequences.

8. Swati says:

I like it! Please do make more! My kid is five and a half, and I want to get the beauty of numbers across – with the handicap that I am no mathematician myself. So, short little videos (somehow more effective than if I was just telling this in person) are irresistibly alluring for my bookmark collection :)

9. Pingback: Math tips from Maths Insider

10. Charlie Flowers says:

I love that video. Well done. You achieved your goals on multiple levels simultaneously in a masterful way.